Sunday 4 December 2011

Facial Fun

I thought I would let you know how I prepare my face for my make-up in the morning and then what I use for make-up each day.

First, I'll let you know what my skin's like. When I hit puberty, my face was bombared with spots and oily areas. I didn't use make-up for the first couple of years of secondary school except a lick of mascara. Then, when I got interested in make-up, I began using Dermalogica products for my oily and acne-prone skin (it wasn't severe acne, but it was reaching that point). I'm not sure if they do the same products, but it consisted of an anti-bacterial wash, a multi-active toner, an oil control lotion and an overnight gel to remove sebum and reduce breakouts. I presumed it was working, because my skin was clearing and felt healthier than it had before, but then I was diagnosed with a hormonal condition and so I thought that maybe that had made my skin better. But don't get me wrong, Dermalogica are fantastic products, if a little on the pricey side of things. I would really recommend these.

Then, once my hormones returned to their normal balance, my face took a U-turn and returned to its former mess. Because I presumed my skin was oily, I got the Simple Moisturiser for oily skin. Complete mistake! It stripped my skin and left me in a flaky, disgusting mess ... not nice. I quickly binned that.

I now have the Garnier Pure Deep Clean Wash for normal/combination skin and the Olay Nourishing Day Fluid for normal/dry/combination skin. These both have been a God-send: my skin is looking and feeling much better. The spots on my cheeks have almost disappeared as well as those on my forehead. The only spots I get now are during my period or around my hairline after sports and such. I cleanse my skin twice daily with the Garnier wash: once in the morning and once at night with warm water. Then I close my pores with cold water as well as removing the cleanser. I haven't found a really good toner that doesn't hurt my skin (not that it's sensitive), so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be really grateful! Then I use my Olay moisturiser by tapping in into my skin - a tip I learned from watching missglamorazzi's 'Evening Skincare Routine' on Youtube (I'll put the link down below) - which helps your skin soak in the moisturiser better than just rubbing it in. The only thing I don't like about the Olay product is that at night, it leaves a greasy layer on my skin and take a while to skin in, but other than that, I love it! I still have redness across my cheeks from scarring (although, I have never popped a spot), but I can live with it for now. I might invest in a Clarisonic if I feel I have it. But this routine took me a while to see the benefits and also I have used several different products through my time using skin-care, so I would recommend doing the same until you find products which benefit you most.




Then, onto make-up. After my morning skincare routine, I must use a primer because my make-up slides off otherwise. I previously used the Maybelline Instant Anti-Age The Smoother primer because my mum had used it and didn't like it (her make-up doesn't slide off!) and gave it to me (I am only 16), but due to that being about £8/£9, I decided to get the 17 Photo Flawless Skin Primer. Both do the same thing and are as equally as good, but the 17 primer is cheaper.



Then I use the Maybelline New York Pure Liquid Mineral Foundation in Nude021. It has an SPF 15 in it, which is always good. It gives a medium to full coverage and is a good base for my make-up. It does need a touch-up of powder throughout the day, just on my forehead, but it's a great foundation.



The concealer I use is Natural Collection's Liquid Concealer in Medium which is great for covering up blemishes and dark circles under my eyes. But I'm not anamoured with it, so I'll probably get the Collection 2000 that everybody raves about.

Then I use Natural Collection Pressed Power in Warm to set my foundation. It gives a slight colour to the skin, but doesn't make my foundation look cakey which is always a good thing. All my Natural Collection products were bought when I didn't have a lot of money with me and was in need of products for holiday and with the perpertual 3 for 2 offer, you can't complain. A lot of people have spoken to me about the Maybelline Pressed Powder and my hand keeps going for it when I'm in Boots, but I'll wait until I'm finished my current powder.



The bronzer I used is Rimmel's Natural Bronzer in Sun Glow 025. It's not great, and I don't really like the coverage it gives. It might have something to do with my crappy brush, but I'm beginning to really hate it. It's quite shimmery and I won't be buying it again!



My blush is Natural Collection's Blushed Cheeks in Peach Melba. I can't get enough of the blush and is the one I most readily reach for. It gives a natural flushed look and is a gorgeous finish! For the price of it, the colour is beautiful and the pigment is great! I also use the Rimmel Smoked Oyster 037 Powder Blush. It had more brown tones and it great for the summer months when you're looking for a more bronzed look instead of a flushed look. But the packaging! It's crap. It takes your teeth to open it and then the blush breaks easily - I wish Rimmel would really fix this.





^^ The photo doesn't so it justice at all - sorry!

Then I set my make-up with the same pressed power and then onto my mascara. I'm always switching between mascara, but I tend to go for ones to improve volume and length. I'm currently using Natural Collection's Lash Length Mascara which is good for its price as it gives good length and seperates them well.

The lip products I most use are Rimmel's Moisture Renew Lipstick in Rose Sobert 110 which is ah-mazing. I got this about six months ago and fell in love with it - but I am a bit funny with lip products and don't tend to wear bright products. I usually just dab this on and then spread it, but it is gorgeous. It is a frosty lipstick, so if you don't like the glitter, I would advise against this. And another point: the packaging is so pretty and it really does moisturise your lips. Another product I use is Estee Lauder's Long Lasting Lipstick Pure Colour in Beige 12. It's a brown lipstick, but also a nude and shimmery. I was given this by my gran who got it as a free gift with a purchase she made and it's really pretty and for those days when you're not feeling very outrageous. And my last lip product is Rimmel's (can you see a pattern here?) Stay Glossy Lipgloss in Endless Night (I think - the lettering has rubbed off ... which is another thing I hate about Rimmel's products). It's a rosy, brown colour. The texture is perfection: like putting Vaseline onto your lips! I love it and always return to it.


From left to right: Rimmel Stay Glossy Lipgloss, Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick, Estee Lauder Long Lasting Lipstick, Rimmel Natural Bronzer, Natural Collection Blushed Cheeks

... So there you go, my facial routine. Hope that gave you insight into the kinds of products I use.

Rebecca xx

Missglamorazzi's skincare routine:

No comments:

Post a Comment